Please note: As of late 2019 the Greater Blue Mts area has been affected by the Gospers Mt fire. Please check with relevant land managers if the area is open prior to heading out to ensure your safety.
There are so many great little swimming holes to be found in the Blue Mtns and beyond, I thought I’d put a list together of some of my favs.
Living on the western edge of the Bluies my list is obviously biased that way (I find it hard driving past Clarence Dams to swim in a smaller, less jumpable pool) but each has it’s own unique features and beauty.
I’ll add to the list as I get photos of the spots we like to visit. Some spots are still a little secretive and I wont be publishing those, the ones on the list are relatively well known but they are popular for reasons.
Note: While popular and mostly on the “beaten track”these spots are still wild places and care needs to be taken around cliff edges and on the steep trails. Never jump off a ledge without first checking the water depth in the landing zone. Even in well known locations, things change. Trees fall in creating hidden dangers. Holes silt up. The bush is an ever changing place.
Note 2: A basic first aid kit is essential bit of kit whenever heading into the Aussie bush. Snakes like waterholes too.
Note 3: These are wild and beautiful places, respect them. If you are able to carry something in you can carry it out. Don’ be a tosser. Leaving your rubbish behind is a sure way to ruin it for every one else. As they say in Canada
- Clarence Dams Clarence
- Hyde Park Hartley
- Deep Pass Newnes Plateau
- Minnehaha Falls Katoomba * Track in currently closed due to safety concerns
- Lake Lyle Lithgow (External link to the aqua park, there are numerous spots in the back waters where you could go for a free swim)
- Wollangambe 1, tourist section (Trip report, photos and video. there are plenty of sites with directions if you google)
- Wollangambe 2 lower tourist section (Trip report, photos and video. there are plenty of sites with directions if you google)
- Du Faurs Creek (Trip report, photos and video. there are plenty of sites with directions if you google)
- Empress Falls Wentworth Falls
- Water Works dam (AKA Dam 1 but really dam 2) Lithgow * No swimming allowed
- McKanes Falls Lithgow
- The Wolgan River, Newnes
- Old Ford Reserve, Megalong Valley
- Silver Cascades, Mt Victoria
- Victoria Falls, Mt Victoria
Swimming spots further afield